Last week was a tough one for me.
- I attended a four-hour workshop on email marketing.
- While many things are the same as they've always been, a lot has changed.
- There came the rub.
One of the things I learned about was a SenderScore.
- According to the expert, it needs to be 90+ to be as effective as possible with emailing newsletters and such.
- He gave us a website to check our domain name's score.
- Told us if lower than 90, it's challenging and expensive to clean up.
Of course, I checked my domain, peoplepowerunlimited.com.
- Learned I have several international friends who had adopted my domain!
- Friends who like to send undesired email - lots of it!
- Our scores (one for each sending computer) ranged from SIX to 67.
I almost threw up.
- No wonder emails James and I send each other get caught in filters.
- My newsletter open rate had dropped dramatically.
- I had no idea foreign companies could be the source of my pain.
The implications temporarily overwhelmed me.
- New emails addresses are needed.
- A new website given how everything is interwoven.
- All sorts of behind-the-scenes adjustments needed.
How the heck did I get in this mess?
- I was a fairly early adopter.
- I've had my domain and been emailing for business for around 20 years.
- How did this sneak up on me?
It's been a humbling week...
- Some of my key business beliefs got the cold bucket of water in the face thanks to that workshop.
- I spent the last few days investigating what other beliefs and rules are creating unnecessary challenges.
- Just call me The Update Queen!
Thriving on change - even when it surprises you - is all part of being a leader.
- How about you?
- Have you and your board done an audit of your key beliefs about how to be successful lately?
- Are you actively updating so you stay relevant and in touch?
We can do this together!
(Stay tuned for some exciting new adventures with me. Given I have to do so much changing with technology, decided to really go for it!)